Twitterings

March 11, 2011

Japanese Smash

Watching events unfold in Japan with everyone else and wondering whether Godzilla and Mothra will turn up to make things even worse - I don't think they could for what it's worth unless they accidentally knocked over a water tower with a mis-timed swipe and cooled the nuclear fuel rods. 


Faced with such a wall of debris and water any imaginable survival is ridiculous. Sadly there's not much to learn in the face of such disaster, Japan is probably the most prepared nation on the planet and there wasn't much they could do when you've got big parts of the earth creaking underneath you. 


I find it tough to sit there an watch while everyone around me tinkers with their spreadsheets and their business cases. As they're firing off emails to each other and arranging who's gonna pick up the kids from ballet, I just want to say, "Yeah but what about Japan? Have you seen what's actually happening? Do you even care?" The answer I'd love would be "OMG, we have to somehow get there, we have to somehow help, it doesn't matter if we only get as far as the M4, but we have to surely try!" Sadly the answer I get is a dull, predictable, British "No, we've got our own problems, and have you seen the price of petrol?" So chin up Japan, no-one from our Slough office will be coming to dig you out any time soon unfortunately, but for what it's worth, there's a guy in my office who's genuinely upset and wishes he could help. Get rebuilt soon.


While watching today I answered my own question - why do people in earthquake prone countries keep so many rattling ornaments on the walls? Ah I get it now.

No comments: